Saturday, May 8, 2010

A night of music in Montmartre



Do you ever catch yourself in a moment of unrivaled happiness and think, wow I can't wait to relieve this as a memory, or is it just me?  Thursday night was definitely one of those moments!

I had gone to Montmartre to meet the Frenchie and we were supposed to go hear some Jazz at this place called the Blue Note.  We got to the bar and the band was on break, so we grabbed a drink.  While waiting at the bar I noticed this French guy doing a double take and then he started to talk to me, unfortunately I had to tell him I didn't speak French.  Well, he apparently had a mouthful to say to my companion, and I still have no idea what he said. I have a feeling it was not very nice though, because when I asked Frenchie about it later he said he didn't really know what he was saying (a kind lie, I'm sure).

After grabbing a beer we sat down and chatted until the band started.  It was not a jazz band at all, because the first song they played was by the Stones.  I can't say I was disappointed though.  I mean I love cover bands, so why not a French cover band singing some of my favorite American songs?  To be fair, they also did a couple of French songs.  One of them was a very popular song from the 80s that everyone in the bar sang and danced along to.  Speaking of the dancing, wow, no words could describe the insane skill level (for some) and ridiculous dance moves (for most of the rest) going on in this crowd.  It was really fun and entertaining and I felt like I was finally starting to become less of a tourist or at least more of a faux-Parisian.

Oh, that reminds me, I noticed all of this food and little decorations all over the place.  I asked Frenchie if there was a party going on or if that was normal.  He said it was just an "after work get together" and that it wasn't that unusual.  Then later, when we came inside from a smoke break, he mentioned that he had heard outside that it was actually a private party-ha!  We had inadvertently ended up spending the evening at Anne's Birthday Soiree!  Too funny indeed and no one seemed to care, at least that's what I thought, until some girl passed by our table twice with an icy glare.   Yikes!  C'est la vie

After singing happy birthday and listening to the Serge Gainsbourg reggae version of the French National anthem we realized it was almost 2 am and the metro had stopped running.  So, seeing as I always get lost, Frenchie (who has trouble sleeping) kindly offered to walk me towards my flat.  Home by 3 am and safely tucked into bed.

By the way, Paris is eerily beautiful and empty at night.  It was a nice chance to see the city in another way.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment