Wednesday, May 12, 2010

6 New York & the art of fine cuisine

Let me tell you about my most cliched Paris experience thus far...

Monday night, since I had told the American that I hadn't seen the Eiffel Tower up close yet and since he worked right by it, he invited me to meet him after work to check it out and get dinner.  It was pouring cats and dogs out and I was running so late that by the time I met him we ended up just going up to his office to check out the view.  It was amazing and I don't know how he gets any work done around there!  He then informed me that he had made reservations for dinner at this place his coworkers had recommended called Restaurant le 6 New York (it's on Avenue de New York).  He said the place was going to be a bit fancy and since he had picked it he was going to treat.  Well, ok....

 View of la Tour Eiffel from the Apple offices

Wow this place was intense!  I mean, the whole nine yards, a quintessential  french haute cuisine experience complete with the palate cleansing courses they bring you in between each of your real courses.  The chef even came out to tell us about the special plats for that day.  Amazing!  We both ordered starters or entrees (as they are called in French) and desserts so that we could try out a few different items on the menu.  For our entrees I had a plate of vegetables that was more beautiful then half of the paintings I viewed last week and came with 4 types of sauces (which is heaven for a condiments fanatic like me) and my friend had the crab and avocado (pureed and shaped like a cake).  We both had the special for our main course, which was beef with au ju and black truffle served under potatoes.  Basically, and ironically, the most American thing I've eaten in a long time haha!  For dessert I had this incredible combination of caramel sorbet and caramel profiterole with more caramel sauce to top it.  Divine!  The American had the rice pudding (also with insane amounts of caramel sauce) and a small portion of french toast that I tasted and have to say is the only one I've had that surpasses my Dad's french toast (shh!  don't tell him I said that).

Since I didn't take any pictures of the food during dinner, here is a link to the restaurant (hope that works for you Shan!):

http://www.6newyork.fr/uk/index.php

The food was incredible and the wine was delicious too.  I cannot decide what my favorite part of the meal was that night, everything was just too good to be true!  I definitely felt like I needed to be wheeled away at the end.  The night wouldn't have been complete without a stroll over to the base of the Eiffel Tower, which we did- even though it was freezing and the rain cut like knives when it hit you.  It doesn't really bother you when you look up and the whole tower is in the midst of a sparkly light show.


 cinematic indeed


It was quite a nice evening and at the end of the night I was very happy to be snug in bed dreaming of caramel and sparkly towers...

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment