Wednesday, May 5, 2010

La Fête du Travail

This past Saturday was La Fête du Travail or May Day.  A national holiday here in France which celebrates workers rights (similar to Labor Day in the US).  On every street corner of Paris you could find children and some adults selling sprigs of lily-of-the-valley.  Workers unions are permitted to sell these flowers free of taxation on the holiday.  The flowers are supposed to be bought for oneself or ones loved ones and are a sign of good luck.



I left my flowers as a gift for the woman who kindly rented me her apartment these past few days.  She was very thankful and happy when she returned home and saw them waiting for her.  Which in turn made me happy!

Speaking of workers rights, I was walking back from some errands and came across this on my way home.  Ah, France and its continuous protests . . . it was like a protest parade was happening.



Happy May Day indeed!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment