Saturday, July 3, 2010

I amsterdam

Amsterdam... where do I begin?

Well, I've already mentioned the great bike tour we went on.  We also visited the Anne Frank house, where Anne's dad moved me to tears, and the Van Gogh museum in the beautiful Museumplein square.  One night at sunset we took a canal tour, complete with shwarma and delicious coffeeshop brownies.  We took trams (sometimes in the wrong direction- completely my fault), explored the Joordan, shopped the Nine Streets and toured the Red Light District.  We also picked up souvenirs during trips to the Albert Cuypmarkt and the Waterlooplein flea market, where we met the Black Lion (more on that later). We ate Indonesian tapas, drank beer and more beer and had ice cream on the hot days.  We went to the Heineken Experience and learned to both taste and pour an "ice cold" Heineken.  We drank some more beer...

The best part of the trip was all the wandering we did.  It's my favorite way to explore a new city and usually the only time getting lost feels okay and maybe even fun.  One day we spent a good hour on a bench by the canal, just relaxing and doing some people watching.  I fell in love with the Brown Cafe we visited our first night in town and a jazz club we popped into after dinner one night.  I could not stop starring at all the picturesque red shutters on many of the buildings and found my favorite house boat.  We both decided our next trip to Amsterdam would have to include renting a little boat to explore the canals while drinking wine in the sunshine like the locals.





















 


It was a great trip and I believe I am correct in saying we were both sad to leave and would like to return again soon!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment