Sunday, July 4, 2010

El Born on the 4th of July

Today I will be traveling to Barcelona instead of watching fireworks like most Americans, but don't feel too bad for me (I'm sure you're rolling your eyes now). I am meeting up with some fellow Americans tonight and we will be celebrating Catalan food and drink, but toasting to the US of A! 

I just read that Columbus was reported to Queen Isabella and Ferdinand in Barcelona after discovering the Americas, so I'm certainly in the right place in the world for an alternative celebration. There is even a monument to commemorate his famous trip. 

While in Barcelona I am staying in the trendy El Born district and cannot wait to explore this much talked about area.  I'm not sure how much I will be able to post during my travels this week, but I will be sure to actively keep you updated on my Catalan adventures (I've been forewarned already that Barcelona is not really "in Spain").

I wish you all a happy and safe 4th of July! Be sure to light some sparklers or eat a hot dog for me!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment