Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Even Parisian cemeteries are romantic

The other day, while Gabby was in town, we stopped by one of the biggest and most eerily beautiful cemeteries I've ever been to- Père Lachaise.  I'm fortunate enough to live really close by, which makes smaller visits more convenient.  The shear size of the place is completely overwhelming and picking up a map at one of the entrances is a must.

It took me until Gabby's visit to realize that I had never talked about the cemetery before and I have some lovely pictures I wanted to share with you.






 






The decaying, gothic-like burial chambers covering the rolling hills inside the cemetery and all of the famous residents (Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf, Henry Chopin, Sandra Bernhardt, Victor Hugo and the list could go on for days...) help to make it one of the most visited and well known cemeteries in the world.  There are over 300,000 buried here and the grounds also house a chapel and crematorium.  It is a pretty incredible place.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment